- 298,369 visits
Welcome to my World!
This blog grew out of a desire to share with others my enthusiasm for getting to know my neighbourhood and my city - and hopefully more parts of South Africa and beyond!
The Cape Peninsula is an extraordinarily beautiful place: we have an iconic world-famous mountain right in the heart of Cape Town, wonderful and easily accessible hiking trails all over the mountain, and a fascinating history, culture and society just waiting to be explored.
Freshly Pressed and Popular Posts
Featured Posts1. Erindi Private Game Reserve in Namibia: A Bushveld Paradise (2011)
2. Getaway to Riversdale (August 2011)
3. A Theme Change: MistyLook to Comet
4. Photographing Military Events
5. Tuffy-Cat and the Open Window
6. Wild Flowers at Postberg Nature Reserve in 2011
7. Bodhi Khaya Retreat Centre in 2011
8. Our little American roadtrip of 2012
9. 2012 - An exciting year of being published
10. Springtime wild flowers at Seeberg in the West Coast National Park 2012
Flat Kathy’s Blog
The Fantastical Voyages of Flat Kathy1. My Special Flat Kathy Postcards
2. The 10th CANSA Shavathon
3. Who has nipped Miss Tuffy-Cat's catnip?!
4. The Du Toit's Kloof Pass
5. A special Sunflower
6. The Grim Reaper on the Black River
7. Lions at Rhodes Memorial
8. Sunset on the Beach
9. Happy Birthday to Cousin Buller
10. The Tale of Miss Tuffy-Cat
- Do you want to receive one of Flat Kathy’s Very Special Postcards?
- Flat Kathy surprises us at the 10th annual CANSA Shavathon
- Admiring the early morning flowers
- Charon the Ferryman – and his spooky friend – are floating on the Black River
- Walking around with Flat Kathy: An introduction to a magical world?
- Ka-BOOM!! So a car battery really CAN explode?!
- Flat Kathy’s new blog is flourishing
- Meet Flat Kathy: Our Visitor from Overseas
- Defeated by the sun-baked mountain slopes of the Swartboskloof and revived by lunch at Hillcrest Berry Farm
- Transforming the Greenest Pool in our Neighbourhood: From luminous green sludge to sparkling clear water
Copyright Notice© Regine Lord and http://namibsands.wordpress.com, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material, text and photographs on this blog, without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to me and my blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Exploring the Cape
Getaway to the Garden Route
Getaway to the Cedarberg Mountains
Getaway to the Olifants River Mountains
Getaway to Swellendam
Getaway to McGregor
Getaway to Stanford
Getaway to Riversdale
Hikes and Rambles
Home and Garden
Category Archives: SA Navy Band
Thanks to Glynnis, I now have a photo of myself with Madiba. Well, with a larger-than-life bronze statue of him anyway. The photo was taken at yesterday’s 94th Birthday Celebration for Madiba at the Nobel Square at the V&A Waterfront … Continue reading
A very special event took place at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town this morning, the 18th of July 2012, in celebration of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela’s 94th Birthday. By mid-morning, on an unseasonably summery day in the middle of winter, … Continue reading
The fabulous SA Navy Band took to the stage at the V&A Waterfront Amphitheatre yesterday, Sunday 18 December 2011, for their final concert of 2011. They couldn’t have asked for better weather: it was a typical summer’s day in Cape … Continue reading
In solemn celebration of our fallen heroes: Remembrance Day at the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital
On Friday, 11 November 2011, military dignitaries in their regimental uniforms gathered on the premises of the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital in Rondebosch, to pay tribute to the fallen heroes of wars and conflicts around the world since … Continue reading
A Gala Evening of Music 2011 with the SA Navy Band and the Pipes and Drums of the Cape Field Artillery
On Friday night, 22 July 2011, we attended the SA Naval College’s annual Evening of Music at the town hall in the Strand. The Naval College is based in Gordon’s Bay, which is just around the corner from the Strand. … Continue reading
“Edelweiss, Edelweiss, Every morning you greet me, Small and White, Clean and Bright, You look happy to meet me. Blossom of snow, may you bloom and grow, Bloom and grow for ever Edelweiss, Edelweiss, Bless my homeland for ever.” (from … Continue reading
During the recent school holidays, the boys and girls making up the drill squad of the Western Province School Marching Drill and Exhibition Association (WP SMDEA) were drilled by members of the SA Army Band Cape Town (see previous post) … Continue reading
We’ve just come back from the City Hall in central Cape Town, where we attended an uplifting spring-time concert to raise funds on behalf of the South African Air Force Association (Cape Town branch) for economically disadvantaged ex-servicemen and women … Continue reading
Last Friday night, two friends and I attended the Dry Dock Concert at the naval yard in Simon’s Town. This performance by the superlative SA Navy Band was one of the highlights of the Navy Festival, which took place this … Continue reading